Administrative Specialist III - Human Resources
ASUMH seeks an Administrative Specialist for the Human Resources Office. Minimum qualifications are a high school diploma, one year of specialized training, and a minimum of three years of related work experience. Experience in human resources is preferred. This position pays $25,268 per year with a comprehensive benefits and leave package.
The deadline for application submission is Monday, June 23rd at 4:30. To apply, please submit a completed General Employment Application, with an attached cover letter and resume containing three references. Please read the application instructions before starting the form. For detailed information and a complete job description, please visit Employment at www.asumh.edu.
EOE/AA: Arkansas State University–Mountain Home is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. All eligible candidates are invited to apply for position vacancies as appropriate.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS: Arkansas State University-Mountain Home is committed to creating a productive workplace in which both persons and property are secure. To achieve that goal, background investigations are conducted on all final applicants recommended for employment.
Position: Administrative Specialist III - Human Resources (C112)
Department: Human Resources
Reports To: Director of Human Resources
Location: Human Resources Office
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Assist the Director of Human Resources in providing excellent customer service to supervisors and employees. Responsible for processing paperwork, entering data into the benefit management systems, and assisting prospective employees by providing job opening information and explaining the job application process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Answer phone calls regarding employment opportunities and general inquiries, process paperwork and forms, compose and type routine correspondence, form letters, and perform other general office duties.
- Analyze and process incoming applications and resumes; including verification of timeliness, completeness, and initial review for minimum qualifications and transfer to electronic file. Generate applicant tracking spreadsheet and EEO data sheet for each position, and process final hard copy notifications to unsuccessful candidates.
- Assist with candidate selection and interview preparation. Prepare ranking grids and forward cleared applications to the hiring committee. Compile committee scores into final grid and notify hiring manager of outcome. Coordinate interviews including compiling interview questions from master list and committee suggestions, securing interview location and scheduling interviews. May facilitate classified staff interviews.
- Conduct pre-employment background checks, including criminal, credit (when appropriate) and educational. Distribute required personnel documents to new employees, including payroll forms, acknowledgements and disclosures, and benefit information. Create new employee files and complete the New Hire Checklist to verify that all required information has been received.
- Generate new employee IDs. Enter employee data into benefit management systems for new and existing employees. This may include changes and corrections to benefit elections, qualifying events, open enrollment changes, address changes, status changes, and other deductions and benefit changes. Communicate changes to payroll.
- Assist with facilitation of new employee orientation and onboarding. This includes sending and or completing the Supervisor Onboarding Checklist, Computer Services Onboarding Checklist, HR Onboarding Checklist, and New Employee Orientation. NEO includes a review of campus culture, organization, strategic goals, mission, policies & procedures, benefits, campus tour, a basic introduction to campus technology (portal, email, CC Benefits, phone, Blackboard) and other relevant new hire information.
- Maintain current and former employee files, both electronic and hard copy. This includes scanning and saving personnel files for terminating employees.
- Assist with purchasing and travel arrangements. This includes product research and recommendations, lodging reservations, and vehicle requests. Also includes input of regular requisitions, direct pay requisitions, and travel authorization information into Poise Digital Purchasing System and adding them to the budget spreadsheet.
- Assist with exit process, i.e. final meeting with employees, COBRA notices, emailing Exit Survey, closing personnel files, etc. Prepares and compiles personnel reports and queries from Access, Excel, and MyBenefits by request of other departments or Human Resources Director. Compose and type routine correspondence and form letters.
- Prepares and compiles personnel reports and queries from Access, Excel, and MyBenefits by request of other departments or Human Resources Director.
- Assist employees with insurance issues and claims problems, including verification of coverage in the benefits management system, communicating with vendor or health care provider as needed to resolve any issues, and requesting replacement cards.
- Assist in organizing any special events for the Human Resources office including the annual Benefits Fair, specialized training sessions, etc.
- Assist with the ASUMH Wellness Program.
- Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school, plus specialized schooling and/or on the job education in a specific skill area; E.G. data processing, clerical/administrative, equipment operation, etc, plus 2 years related experience and/or training. Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR FUNDS, PROPERTY and EQUIPMENT
Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with customers, clients, general public and other employees of the organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
Ability to utilize common sense understanding in order to carry out written, oral or diagrammed instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving several known variables in situations of a routine nature.
Under general supervision where standard practice enables the employee to proceed alone on routine work, referring all questionable cases to supervisor.
Considerable responsibility with regard to general assignments in planning time, method, manner, and/or sequence of performance of own work; may also occasionally assist in the planning of work assignments performed by others within a limited area of operation.
Performs work operations which permit frequent opportunity for decision-making of minor importance and which would not only affect the operating efficiency of the individual involved, but would also affect the work operations of other employees and/or clientele to a slight degree.
Moderate mental demand. Operations requiring almost continuous attention, but work is sufficiently repetitive that a habit cycle is formed; operations requiring intermittent directed thinking to determine or select materials, equipment or operations where variable sequences may be selected by the employee.
ANALYTICAL ABILITY / PROBLEM SOLVING
Moderately structured. Fairly broad activities using moderately structured procedures with only generally guided supervision. Interpolation of learned things in somewhat varied situations.
USE OF MACHINES, EQUIPMENT AND/OR COMPUTERS
Regular use of complex machines and equipment (desktop/laptop computer and software, road and production machines and equipment, etc.)
Probable errors of internal and external scope would have a moderate effect on the operational efficiency of the organizational component concerned. Errors might possibly go undetected for a considerable period of time, thereby creating an inaccurate picture of an existing situation. Could cause further errors, losses, or embarrassment to the organization. The possibility for error is always present due to requirements of the job.
Frequent contacts with general public, patrons, or other outside representatives, wherein the manner of handling these contacts has a bearing on the organization's position and operation.
Contacts of considerable importance within the department or office, such as those required in coordination of effort, or frequent contacts with other departments or offices, generally in normal course of performing duties. Requires tact in discussing problems and presenting data and making recommendations, but responsibility for action and decision reverts to others.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Basic: Alphanumeric Data Entry, Contact Management, Human Resources Systems, Presentation/PowerPoint, Spreadsheet, Word Processing/Typing
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, talk or hear; occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and color vision.
There are no harmful environmental conditions that are present for this position.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Typing skills, computer skills, and knowledge of the company's policies and procedures. Strong computer database knowledge, interpersonal and oral communication skills. Ensure written documentation is thorough and understandable. Understanding and ability to keep personnel and payroll information confidential