FAQ Background Pic

Answers to Your Financial Aid Questions

  • Am I eligible for financial aid?

  • You must complete the FAFSA online at https://studentaid.gov/ to start the process of applying for aid. Once we have received that information from the Department of Ed, we can determine if you are eligible for aid and if so, how much and what kind you are eligible for.

  • Students who never attended ASUMH are considered eligible for aid.  All others are subject to the ASUMH Satisfactory Academic Progress policy

  • Are awarded amounts guaranteed funds?

  • No, the amounts are not guaranteed. Amounts are available if all eligibility criteria is met. Changes to FAFSA, grade level, enrollment level, Satisfactory Academic Progress status, loan default, etc. can affect eligibility.

  • Can I receive Federal Direct student loans if I am suspended?

  • No. All Federal Student Aid eligibility, including loans, is suspended when a student is placed on financial aid suspension due to not meeting the SAP requirements.

  • Can I use my work study from another semester?

  • No. Federal Work Study awards must be used during the term for which they are awarded.

  • Can I view my current award information online?

  • Yes, all awards are available in the portal at Student Self Service - click here under the the Award Offer tab in the Financial Aid section.

  • Can my budget be increased?

  • Generally, a budget cannot be increased once a student has been given the maximum amount. Limited extenuating circumstances may allow for an adjustment. The student would need to contact the financial aid office to discuss the situation.

  • Can the budget change from year to year?

  • Yes. Budget amounts are adjusted annually to reflect updated amounts for cost-of-living, tuition and fees, food and housing, etc.

  • Do I need an appointment to meet with a counselor?

  • No. Financial aid counselors are available on a first-come, first-serve basis during normal business hours.

  • Do I need to complete a FAFSA each year?

  • Yes. Students must complete a FAFSA for each academic year in order to receive Federal Student Aid for that year.

  • How do I apply for Federal Work Study?

  • Instructions on how to apply for Work Study are emailed to all students at the beginning of each semester. To be considered for a Federal Work Study award, the student must have enough unmet need based upon the FAFSA and be enrolled in at least 9 credit hours.

  • How do I apply for financial aid?

  • Follow the steps at https://asumh.edu/pages/main/406/apply-for-aid.

  • How do I find a job if I have been awarded Federal Work Study?

  • Instructions on how to apply for Work Study and the jobs available are emailed to all students at the beginning of each semester.

  • How do I pay for my books?

  • Students should be prepared to purchase their books at the beginning of the semester. If a student has more financial aid expected than their bill a book voucher is typically emailed from the Financial Aid Office the week before or the first week of classes.

  • How do I setup direct deposit for my refund?

  • Sign up for Direct Deposit in the portal at Student Self Service - click here under the Cashier section.

  • How do I view the amounts of aid applied to my ASU student account?

  • Log into Student Self Service - click here and select TouchNet in the Cashier Section.

  • How does a budget affect my financial aid eligibility?

  • A budget establishes a maximum amount of aid that a student can receive from all sources (scholarships, grants, loans, etc.)

  • How is eligibility for Federal Work Study determined?

  • Work Study is determined by demostrating enough need as determined by the FAFSA. The student must have enough unmet need and be enrolled in at least 9 credit hours to be eligible for work study.

  • How will I know how much financial aid I'm eligible for?

  • This is based on your estimated family contribution (EFC) which is changing to the Student Aid Index (SAI) for the 2024-2025 school year, the cost of attendance (COA), your enrollment status, and meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. You will receive an award notification at your ASUMH email account only with further instructions on how to see your award in the Student Self Service - click here portal

  • I indicated “yes” to Work Study on my FAFSA. Why is it not on my award?

  • Schools are allocated a limited amount of funding for the Federal Work Study program each year. Instructions on how to apply for Work Study at ASUMH are emailed to all students at the beginning of each semester.

  • I just completed my FAFSA. Can I get my books?

  • Information must be submitted to the financial aid office well in advance of the beginning of the semester and the student be awarded in order for aid to be available to get a book voucher. For more information about book vouchers go to https://asumh.edu/pages/main/409/book-vouchers.

  • I never received my refund. What should I do?

  • Contact the Financial Aid Office at 870-508-6100.

  • I previously declined an award. Can I still receive the award?

  • Your eligibility can be re-evaluated to be re-offered assuming all eligibility requirements are still being met. It may not be possible for a scholarship to be re-offered if the deadline has expired. Contact Financial Aid for further assistance.

  • Is a “financial aid disbursement” and a “refund” the same thing?

  • No. A financial aid disbursement is when the Financial Aid & Scholarships office credits aid to a student’s account. A refund is when the Business Office issues a refund of excess funds to a student either through direct deposit or a paper check.

  • Is the Cost of Attendance what I owe?

  • No. The Cost of Attendance (or budget) is an estimated amount.

  • Is there a deadline for completing the FAFSA?

  • It is best to submit the correct year's FAFSA long before the semester (Fall, Spring, or Summer) begins. Eligibility may be limited if the FAFSA is not completed well before the semester begins.

  • It is the first week of class, and I am not able to purchase my books. What should I do?

  • Students should be prepared to purchase their books at the beginning of the semester. Check with Financial Aid to see if you can qualify for voucher to be used in the campus bookstore.

  • The FAFSA says I'm dependent and is asking for my parents' tax information, but I live on my own and pay all my own expenses. Can I be considered independent?

  • If you have been determined to be dependent by The Department of Education, you must provide your parents' tax information on the application.  In rare circumstances this determination can be overridden by the ASUMH Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid on a case by case basis, but the evidence and documentation must be compelling. Simply living on your own does not mean you are independent.

  • What are the office's hours?

  • The office is open Monday-Thursday from 7:30 am to 5 pm and 7:30 to 2:00 on Friday.

  • What do I do if I have accepted all of my financial aid, but it does not cover my costs?

  • If a student does not have enough financial aid to cover their costs, it is recommended for them to speak with a financial aid counselor about their options.

  • What happens if I fail to meet the requirements of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

  • Student’s not maintaining SAP for the first time are placed on WARNING and notified by letter and are eligible for aid for one additional semester. Federal Financial Aid is suspended, with the right to appeal, if a student is not maintaining SAP after a WARNING semester.

  • What is a budget (also known as Financial Aid Cost of Attendance)?

  • A budget is an established maximum amount of aid required for educational expenses. Budget amounts include components such as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, etc.

  • What is a course drop?

  • A drop is when a student ceases attendance from a course while continuing attendance in other courses during a semester.

  • What is a withdrawal?

  • A withdrawal is when a student ceases attendance from all enrolled courses during a semester after beginning attendance.

  • What is COA?

  • The cost of attendance for educational expenses such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, housing and meals, other related expenses.

  • What is EFC?

  • The estimated family contribution calculated from the income and asset information the student provides on the FAFSA.

  • What is SAI?    

  • The Student Aid Index (SAI) is replacing the EFC on 2024-2025 FAFSA.

  • What is my eligibility for Federal Direct student loans?

  • Federal loan eligibility is determined by a number of factors such as FAFSA income information, budget (or Cost of Attendance), grade level, enrollment level, program of study, and previous borrowing history.

  • What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

  • SAP is the policy established by the institution to monitor and enforce federally required academic progress standards to ensure a student is satisfactorily progressing to complete their degree program.  Students loose their eligibility for aid after two consecutive semesters of enrollment not meeting SAP.

  • When will I receive my awarded work study money?

  • Federal Work Study funds are distributed to students through the payroll process as students work and earn wages throughout the semester.

  • When will I receive my money?

  • Refunds usually begin being issued by the 6th week of classes if you have signed up for Direct Deposit with the Cashier’s Office.

  • When/where can I pick up my refund check?

  • Refund checks cannot be picked up. Notifications will go to your student email account. 

  • Why did I not receive the refund amount I expected?

  • Refunds may be different than expected due to charges for a late added course or book voucher charges. Direct Stafford loans have origination fees that reduced the offered amount. Late starting courses can cause a delay in delivery of funds.

  • Why do I need to complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling?

  • These are documents required by Direct Lending before loan money can be released to your account. If you have requested loans please complete these documents at studentaid.gov.

  • Will a course drop affect my eligibility?

  • Dropping a course may prevent a student from having the required number of hours for scholarship renewal. For Federal Student Aid, dropping a course adversely affects Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy which could result in loss of eligibility.

  • Will a withdrawal affect my eligibility?

  • It can, depending on your overall Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status and the assistance you receive.

  • Will I owe money if I withdraw?

  • It is possible that a student would be required to return all or a portion of their Federal Student Aid if they withdraw.


FAFSA School Code: 042544

ADHE SAMS Portal: https://sams.adhe.edu/





LeQuita Foster

Assistant Director of Financial Aid



Clay Berry

Director of Financial Aid




Roller Hall 3rd Floor, 310-312

Contact Info


FAFSA School Code: 042544

ADHE SAMS Portal: https://sams.adhe.edu/





LeQuita Foster

Assistant Director of Financial Aid



Clay Berry

Director of Financial Aid




Roller Hall 3rd Floor, 310-312



Site alert goes here.

Apply Now

Sign Up For Our Email List

Funeral Science Program Application

BIOL 1013 Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology for Non-Healthcare Majors
  BIOL 2004 Human Anatomy and Physiology I & Lab
  BIOL 2014 Human Anatomy and Physiology II & Lab
CIS 1053 Computer Essentials
COMM 1203 Oral Communication
ENG 1003 Composition I
ORT 1001 First Year Experience for Funeral Science
Admission acceptance status made at application due date is contingent on final grades.
Important Disclosures about the Program and the Funeral Service Industry
I understand the program has a specific course rotation that I am required to follow each semester.
I understand that all Funeral Science Education curriculum course work must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
I understand that I must maintain a 2.5 GPA and will only be allowed to retake courses from which I withdrew or failed in the first semester upon admission to the program.
I understand that I am responsible for any costs associated with the program including field trips and Training Camp.
I understand that it is my responsibility to know the licensing requirements for any state in which I intend to practice.
I understand that students who have previously been convicted of a crime may be restricted from certain clinical facilities and may be ineligible for some state licenses.
I understand that students who have a physical disability should contact the state in which he/she plans to seek licensure to determine if the disability will affect licensure.
I understand that a current driver’s license is required prior to enrolling in a clinical or practicum course.
I have read and understand the program dismissal policies contained within the Funeral Science Student Handbook.

Join the ASUMH Alumni Association

Join ASUMH Alumni Association to stay connected with friends, keep up on new opportunities on campus, and receive discounts to local businesses.

Need Help Finding Anything?

Need Help Finding Anything?

New site alert goes here.

Go To Top