Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid Background Pic


You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for financial aid.  Complete the application  at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. The ASUMH school code is 042544.


A Federal Pell Grant is awarded to help undergraduate students pay for their education after high school. For the Federal Pell Grant Program, an undergraduate is one who has not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. These grants provide a "foundation" of financial aid for many students to which aid from other federal sources may be added. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be repaid except in certain circumstances where a student withdraws or has all failing grades.

The maximum Award for the 2023-2024 year is $7,395.00. The amount awarded will depend on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the cost of education, enrollment status, and whether or not attendance is for a full academic year or less.

To apply for a Pell Grant:


This grant is intended to supplement other aid received. These grants are federally funded with each school receiving a small allocation of funds each year. Therefore, students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA as early as possible each year as funds are awarded to a limited number of undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. SEOG grant award amounts depend on the amount of funds available to the institution.   Typically the amount varies between $200 and $1000 per academic year.  Apply by completing the FAFSA at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.



How to apply for a Federal Direct Student Loan

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using the ASUMH school code 042544.
  2. Complete Loan Entrance Counseling at https://studentaid.gov/entrance-counseling/.
  3. Complete the Master Promissory Note at https://studentaid.gov/mpn/
  4. Provide any additional documents requested by the ASUMH Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

Note: Students must complete the FAFSA every year to continue to apply for a Federal Direct Student Loan.

The Subsidized Federal Direct Student Loan

Eligibility for subsidized loans is based on financial need as determined by federal guidelines. A loan is called "subsidized" because the government pays interest for the student while the student is at least half-time enrolled in school (6 or more hours at ASUMH).

The Unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loan

This type of loan is available to students regardless of income or need. With an unsubsidized loan, you are responsible for all interest that accrues during the time in school, grace and deferment periods. You may choose to pay the interest portion only while in school, which would keep your loan balance at principal. If you choose to defer such payments, the interest will be capitalized (added back to the principal at time of repayment).

What is a Master Promissory Note?

A Master Promissory Note is a signed agreement promising payment of a sum of money, i.e. by signing a Master Promissory Note for a Federal Direct Loan the student is agreeing to repay their loan proceeds to their designated servicer. Complete your Master Promissory Note (MPN) at https://studentaid.gov/mpn/.

Why must a student complete Loan Entrance Counseling?

Entrance counseling provides the student detailed information on the Federal Direct Student Loan Program. It is very important for the student to understand their rights and responsibilities when borrowing money for school. Complete your Entrance Interview at https://studentaid.gov/entrance-counseling/.

How much can I borrow?

Visit https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized to view information regarding loan amounts.

When do I begin to repay my Federal Direct Loans?

Each student is given a period of time before loan repayment begins; this is called a “grace period." The Federal Direct Loan grace period is six months after the student graduates, leaves school, or drops below half time status. Once a student exceeds their grace period, they must begin loan repayment. Federal Direct Loans are repaid to the federal government through a loan servicer, with 10-25 years to repay, depending on the repayment plan and total amount the student has borrowed.

Go to https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/repayment/plans for additional information about loan repayment.


Visit our TIPS & WHERE TO START page for information about searching for scholarships.

Visit our OTHER SCHOLARSHIPS page for a variety of links to scholarships we have gathered from our community, region, state and beyond.

Visit our ASUMH ACADEMIC DISTINCTION page to learn about our primary scholarship available to first time entering college freshman who apply within a year of receiving a high school or home school diploma or GED.

Visit our ASUMH FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS page to see what scholarships are available just by being an ASUMH student or applying for admissions to ASUMH

State Scholarships & Grants

The State of Arkansas provides several types of grants and scholarships for residents of Arkansas. These include the Arkansas Academic Challenge/Lottery Scholarship, Governors Scholarships, Arkansas Futures Grant and many additional opportunities for Arkansas residents.

Information about assistance available from the state of Arkansas is available online at https://sams.adhe.edu/Scholarship.

Students must complete the application located at https://sams.adhe.edu/. The application is open year round for some funding opportunities but the main deadline to apply for state assistance June 30th each year.  The application opens for the school year that begins in August the precending October 1st. 

Other Aid


This program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for college expenses.  Students must complete the FAFSA at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA as early as possible as funds for this program are limited. Students must complete the FAFSA every year to be eligible for Federal Work Study. Receipt of Federal Work Study one year does not automatically imply that the student will receive Federal Work Study the next year.  Students typically work up to 20 hours per week.  Students are paid every two weeks.   


Students with possible disabilities may contact Arkansas Rehabilitation Services (1-800-330-0632) or visit https://dws.arkansas.gov/ar-rehabilitation-services/ to learn more.  Rehabilitation Services may provide assistance with tuition, fees, and books to those who qualify.  


The WIOA program is designed to help job seekers access employment, education, training, and support services to succeed in the labor market and to match employers with the skilled workers they need to compete in the global economy.  Students should contact either their local Employment Security Division Office or the Arkansas Workforce Center for application and eligibility information.  Visit https://dws.arkansas.gov/workforce-services/workforce-innovation-wioa/ page for more information. Students that have lost their job due to foreign competition should also inquire if they may be eligible for Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) benefits.  For information on TAA go to https://dws.arkansas.gov/workforce-services/employers/dislocated-worker-services/trade-adjustment-assistance/


Career Pathways is a financial assistance program to help students with college related expenses.

Guidelines are as follows.  Be an Arkansas resident, have minor children residing in your home under the age of 21, or have income below 250% of the poverty level.

Qualified applicants can receive a range of assistance that could include paying for tuition, fees, books, transportation, child care, and other expenses.

For further information regarding eligibility and the application process, contact the Career Pathways Office at (870) 508-6201 or visit https://asumh.edu/pages/main/338/career-pathways. The Career Pathways Office is located on the third floor of Roller Hall on the ASU - Mountain Home campus.

Veteran Benefits

Arkansas State University - Mountain Home assists eligible veterans and dependents of veterans apply for educational benefits offered by the Veterans Administration.  Active duty military may also receive educational benefits to attend Arkansas State University - Mountain Home.  

Eligibility for benefits can only be determined by the U. S. Department of Veteran Affairs.  To begin the application process, go to https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.  All active duty military, veterans and dependents of veterans are encouraged to inquire about educational benefits to attend Arkansas State University - Mountain Home by contacting the ASUMH Veterans Administration Certifying Official, George Truell (870) 508-6278 or gtruell@asumh.edu for further information.

Visit our VETERANS page at https://asumh.edu/vets/ or our for more information.  Our VETERANS INFORMATION has Baxter County Veteran Affairs Representatives and Contact Info.

LeQuita Foster

Assistant Director of Financial Aid



Contact Info

LeQuita Foster

Assistant Director of Financial Aid





Site alert goes here.

Apply Now

Sign Up For Our Email List

Funeral Science Program Application

BIOL 1013 Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology for Non-Healthcare Majors
  BIOL 2004 Human Anatomy and Physiology I & Lab
  BIOL 2014 Human Anatomy and Physiology II & Lab
CIS 1053 Computer Essentials
COMM 1203 Oral Communication
ENG 1003 Composition I
ORT 1001 First Year Experience for Funeral Science
Admission acceptance status made at application due date is contingent on final grades.
Important Disclosures about the Program and the Funeral Service Industry
I understand the program has a specific course rotation that I am required to follow each semester.
I understand that all Funeral Science Education curriculum course work must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
I understand that I must maintain a 2.5 GPA and will only be allowed to retake courses from which I withdrew or failed in the first semester upon admission to the program.
I understand that I am responsible for any costs associated with the program including field trips and Training Camp.
I understand that it is my responsibility to know the licensing requirements for any state in which I intend to practice.
I understand that students who have previously been convicted of a crime may be restricted from certain clinical facilities and may be ineligible for some state licenses.
I understand that students who have a physical disability should contact the state in which he/she plans to seek licensure to determine if the disability will affect licensure.
I understand that a current driver’s license is required prior to enrolling in a clinical or practicum course.
I have read and understand the program dismissal policies contained within the Funeral Science Student Handbook.

Join the ASUMH Alumni Association

Join ASUMH Alumni Association to stay connected with friends, keep up on new opportunities on campus, and receive discounts to local businesses.

Need Help Finding Anything?

Need Help Finding Anything?

New site alert goes here.

Go To Top